Shirodhara Therapy, Third Eye Drip
Ayurveda is India's ancient healing system, combining oil massage, nutrition, yoga, meditation and classical detox programme for long-term health and well-being. Shirodhara is an ancient Ayurvedic healing practice performed in India for over 2,000 years. It is the application of warmed sesame oil (til-infused with herbs) gently poured onto the forehead for an extended period of time. Herbal oils are gently placed into the nose, as rare Ayurvedic essential oils are placed onto the hands. It is performed with the client lying face up on a massage table in a relaxing environment.
Traditionally “Shirodhara technique” is used to calm the nerves, harmonize vata constitutions, restore the nerves, release stored emotions, and purify the mind. In Ayurvedic Medicine, it is considered an important tool in the pursuit of higher states of consciousness. Shirodhara has been traditionally shown to help with fatigue, mental exhaustion, anxiety, insomnia, some mental disorders, headache, excessive thinking, nervousness, and many other conditions commonly affecting Americans in today’s active lifestyle.
Many people experience profound levels of insight and emotional healing after shirodhara. In essence, it calms the body, mind, and spirit.
- Wear an old sweatshirt or T-shirt, as they may get some oil on them.
- 2 large towels – one to wrap the head in afterwards and one to place under the neck
- 1 small hand towel – to gently warm and place over the eyes
- 14-16 ounce (A unit of apothecary weight equal to 480 grains or one twelfth of a pound) bottle of pure, unprocessed sesame oil (usually by cooking oils)
- Client is advised to sit on the massage table and the medicated herbal oil is poured through hair
- Whole body is massaged with warm oil
- Then the client is advised to lay down on the massage table in supine position (face upwards). Oil is released from the bowl onto the forehead (the center of the eyebrows)
- The therapy continues for about 40 minutes
After shirodhara it is highly recommended to rest and relax, as the mind will be very calm. Try to arrange the next day off work after shirodhara to fully experience the deep and lasting effects on the mind. Many people comment on experiencing new levels of yoga, prayer, or meditation after the session. It is common to remain in a near blissful state of peace and harmony for up to five days after shirodhara.
- reduction in stress
- Reduction in excessive thinking
- Calming of the emotions
- Release of negative emotions
- Improved sleep
- Improvement in insomnia
- Vivid dreaming
- Muscle relaxation
- Improvement in mood
- Reduction in anxiety
- Alleviation of mental anguish
- It gives a temporary blissful state