Urine Therapy/ Amaroli
"In February 1996 the First World Conference on Urine Therapy took place in India (in May 1999 the second world conference took place in Germany).The fact that a number of allopathic doctors also visited these conferences shows that this remarkable and sometimes despised therapy, which for a long time was almost forgotten, is coming back to the forefront and rightly so.
Urine therapy is very effective, and it is always available and quite inexpensive, to say the least, which is absolutely wonderful in a world which sees itself confronted with increasing health- as well as financial problems.
Urine therapy means using (your own) urine externally or internally as a way to promote or maintain your health. The first question that probably comes to mind is whether urine is not a toxic substance and how a toxic waste product could ever be of any benefit for your health.
Well, urine is NOT a toxic waste product and this has been scientifically proven. 95% of urine is water, 2.5% consists of urea and the remaining 2.5% is a mixture of minerals, salt, hormones and enzymes. Toxic substances are being removed from the body through the liver and intestines, through the skin and through the out breath.
We all commence life in the womb where we float in Amniotic Fluid. This fluid fills our lungs, and bathes the skin. It is the urine that we make while in the womb. Urine is a sterile, antiseptic fluid excreted by the kidneys. It is the excess nutrients, metabolites and water from the blood plasma. It is not toxic when placed in the digestive system, which acts as a storage organ for the powerful bio-chemicals it contains. The main function of the kidneys is to keep the composition of the blood in optimal balance. When there is too much water, the kidneys will remove it. But that doesn't make water into a toxic waste product. Only the substance urea can be poisonous when present in very large amounts in the blood.
However, this is irrelevant in the practice of drinking urine, as urine is not immediately put back in the bloodstream. In the small amounts urea gets back into the body, it is purifying, clears up excess mucus and has a number of specific, very useful effects. Moreover, it has a wonderful healing and tonifying effect when applied to the skin. You can find urea in many skin products as one of the main components- specifically in many woman cosmetics.
If urine is ingested and/or rubbed into the skin, it purifies blood and tissues, provides useful nutrients and sends the body a signal about what is in or out of balance. This last effect is called (oral) auto-immunization. This brings us to a last important feature of urine. Urine itself is, as said, not a toxic waste product. It does contain however minute particles connected with possible disease processes in the body. These minute particles are mainly antibodies, which upon re-ingesting can help the body to react on specific pathological situations. Urine is taken as a food and spiritual sadhana. It enhances the immune response, is a skin tonic and increases the supply of Prana and Ojas. Urine passed at any time of the day may be drunk but the best urine is the mid-stream urine passed just after getting up in the morning. Urine therapy has proven helpful in a great number of various diseases, ranging from a simple cold and a throat-ache, to tuberculosis and asthma, from minor skin problems such as itching, to more serious skin diseases such as eczema, psoriasis and even skin cancer.
Urine can help the following ailments
A mixture of potato and sulphur powder, mixed with heated, old urine helps against hair loss. One should rub this mixture into the scalp; this slows down loss of hair (calf's gall can be added if necessary). "One can best heal injuries to the eyes with honey dissolved in the lightly boiled urine from a young man. One should wash the eyes as often as possible with this fluid.
All kinds of throat inflammation can be helped by gargling with urine to which a bit of saffron has been added.
Trembling hands and knees can be helped by washing and rubbing one's own warm urine into the skin directly after one has urinated.
In the beginning stages of dropsy, one should drink one's own morning urine on an empty stomach for a prolonged period of time. This also helps against jaundice.
Urine therapy can be seen as a form of self-vaccination: certain bodily substances which have been removed from the body, some of which may have been produced as a result of illness, are re-introduced into the body in small amounts. These substances are re-absorbed into the blood through either the intestines or the skin. According to this hypothesis, the immune system is then given the chance to react appropriately.
Urine Therapy in the East:
Urine therapy has been practiced for thousands of years and has merely fallen a bit into obscurity in the last century. However much urine therapy may seem to be unorthodox and perhaps revolutionary, it does not introduce anything new or original. It has been known throughout the centuries both in the West and in the East. Especially within yoga and tantra tradition the use of urine has been kept alive.
Urine therapy in the West:
Apart from these effects within meditation context, the use of urine is very practical as far as curing all kind of ailments and diseases is concerned. This practice has been known all over the world and in many cultures. The Greeks and Romans were acquainted with the use of urine as a medicine. But also later in history there are many references to urine as being helpful to combat illnesses. "Useful substances can be found in human as well as animal urine. Human urine has strengthening and curative characteristics concerning many deficiencies.
In this century it was the Englishman John Armstrong who was the urine therapy pioneer with his work and with his book The Water of Life, famous both in West and East. Armstrong realized that the powerful medical world entertained other ideas about the usefulness of urine. He cured himself of tuberculosis which had been declared 'incurable'.
Internal use of Urine
- Drinking: Morning urine is best. Take the middle stream. You can start with a few drops, building up to one glass a day. Good as a tonic, as a preventative and in minor illnesses.
- Fasting: Drink all the urine you pass, except for the evenings, otherwise you won't get any sleep. You can also take some extra water. The urine will quickly change its taste into almost neutral. Fasting on urine and water cleanses the blood. Toxins are removed through liver, skin and outbreath.
- Gargle: Gargling with urine works wonders when having a throat-ache. Also good for toothache, when you having cold.
Enemas - Urine enemas work very well in cleansing the colon and in providing a direct immune stimulant.
- Vaginal douche :Helpful in e.g. yeast problems, white discharge, etc.
- Ear and eye drops :Ear infections; conjunctivitis, glaucoma. For the eyes, dilute the urine with some water.
- Sniffing urine/Neti: It prevents Sinusitis and other nose problems, very good cure for cold and to clean the subtle channels in the head.
External use of Urine
- Massaging/Rubbing: You can use either fresh or old urine. Old urine (4 to 8 days) is generally more effective, but it has a strong, very strong smell. Massaging the whole body is a very important complementary treatment when fasting. It nourishes the body through the skin and helps against increased heartbeat. You can leave the urine on or wash it off after an hour or so, just with water or with a mild, natural soap. Fresh urine as an after shave gives you a beautiful soft skin. But it is also very helpful and healing in all kind of skin problems: itching, sunburns, eczema, psoriasis, acne, etc.
Gentle rubbing of urine into acupressure points (e.g. on the ears) will be very useful when reactions are, otherwise too strong, e.g. with very heavy allergic reaction.
- Footbaths: Any skin and nail problems of the feet (athletes foot, ringworm, etc.)
- Compress: When rubbing is not appropriate, this is another way of applying urine on the skin.
- Hair & scalp massage: Renders the hair soft and clean. Sometimes stimulates new hair growth.
Bad effects which may occur
- Urine therapy mobilizes toxins within the body and the improved immune system then attacks them. This can cause various symptoms such as inflammation, fever, eruptions etc. If you are ill and/or on drugs, caution is advised. Start with a few drops in water and work up to the full practice over months. Stop if side effects are unpleasant. These side effects will cease when the immune system has destroyed the toxins.
- If your urine is unusual for some reason. for example you may have become dehydrated, eaten too much salt, eaten cooked or bad food, or eaten too much bitter food, then take care. This urine may cause the digestive system to empty itself. So if your urine is an unusual colour or tastes very salty or bitter, then either cease the practice until it has returned to normal or dilute a small amount with water and drink.
The combination of both urine and allopathic medicine may be dangerous to your health. If you are taking any form of allopathic medicine, begin with the external application (urine massage) until you are free of all medication, if possible.
If it is not possible or safe to stop the use of certain medicines, start with taking a few drops of urine internally or use a homeopathic tincture or gently rub fresh urine into the acupressure points of your ears.
Keep looking and feeling very carefully how you and your body are reacting on the treatment. When suffering from a serious illness or, generally, when in doubt, consult a good natural doctor.