There are two techniques of practicing Basti. It is as follows:
1. Basti (Jala-basti), Colon cleansing technique
How to do
- This technique can be practiced with or without a bamboo tube. But it is better to have a bamboo-tube. Now sit in a tub of water covering your navel.
- Assume the posture Utkatasana by resting your body on the forepart of your feet, the heels pressing against the posteriors.
- Take a small bamboo-tube about 6 fingers long and insert 4 fingers of its length into the anus after lubricating the tube with Vaseline or soap or castor oil.
- Then contract the anus outside. Draw the water into the bowels slowly. Shake well the water within the bowels and then expel the water outside. It is known as Jala-Basti.
Hoe to do
- There is another technique of doing Basti without the help of water. It is called Sthula-Basti. Sit in Paschimottanasana on the ground and churn the abdominal and intestinal portions slowly with a downward motion.
- Contract the sphincter muscles. This removes constipation and all the abdominal disorders. This is not as effective as the Jala-Basti.
It cures Pleeha, urinary disorders, Gulma, myalga, dropsy, disorders of digestion, diseases of the spleen and bowels, diseases arising from the excess of wind, bile and phlegm. By practicing Basti with water, the Dhatus, the Indriyas and the mind become calm. It gives glow and tone to the body and increases the appetite. All the disorders disappear.
This Kriya should be done in the morning when the stomach is empty. Drink a cup of milk or take your meals when the Kriya is over. This Kriya can be practiced while standing in a river.
Next Article: Back to Index