Nasal Cleansing Using a Cord, Thread-Neti or String-Neti, Sutr Neti
Insert a soft thread through the nose to the length of one hand-span so that it comes out of the mouth.
How to prepare the thread
- Cut a number of strands of the thread to about 45cm in length, so that the diameter of the strands when bundled together is about 3mm. You can increase this later according to the size of your nasal passages.
- Heat some beeswax.
- Hold the end of the bundle and trim it so that all the ends are even, and twist the end of the bundle.
- Soak the first 12cm of the twisted end in the hot beeswax and allow it to harden into a stiff pliable cord. 5. Trim the ether end so that the total length of the cord is about 45cm. Twist about 10cm of the end and soak it in beeswax. Allow to harden.
How to do
- Squat - tilt the head slightly back and insert the thread or catheter straight into the left nostril.
- The thread should not be forced through the nose but pushed gently so that it passes slowly down into the throat.
- When it reaches the back of the throat insert the first two fingers into the mouth and pull the thread out through the mouth leaving a few inches of thread hanging out of the nose.
- Slowly and gently pull the thread backwards and forwards thirty to fifty times. Remove it slowly and repeat through the opposite nostril.
- Neti relieves muscular tension of the face and nervous tics, and helps maintain facial youth and freshness.
- It releases emotional tension and is beneficial in anxiety, depression, epilepsy and hysteria; it promotes a balance between the left and right nostrils, and consequently the right and left hemispheres of the brain.
- This induces a state of harmony and balance throughout the entire central nervous system and the systems governing respiratory, circulatory, digestive and excretory function.
- Under no circumstances should you experience pain in the practice.
- If you feel any pain, it either means you are inserting the catheter too fast, or that it entered the wrong way and is stalled against the nasal wall, unless there is otherwise some other genetic obstruction.
- In which case, stop immediately, withdraw and reinsert the catheter carefully in another direction until you find a clear unimpeded passage.
Next Article: Nauli Kriya (Churning of Abdomen)