Half spinal twist Posture, Half lord of the fishes Pose, Ardho Matseyanrasana, Adha Matsynder Asan
This Asana in its original form is difficult to practice, therefore, it was simplified which is called 'Ardha-Matsyendrasana'. After sufficient practice of this Asana, it becomes possible to practice Matsyendrasana.
How to reach the stretch
- Sit down on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you and buttocks on the floor.
- Bend the right leg at the knee and place the heel tight at the perineum.
- Keep the foot of the left leg by the side of the right thigh near the knee.
- Now, bring the right hand round the outer side of the left knee passing between the chest and the knee and catch hold of the left big toe.
- The right shoulder blade rests on the outer side of the left knee.
- Take the left hand round the back and try to catch the right thigh. Now look back over the left shoulder.
- Now, keep your trunk in vertical position and keep in the pose for a while.
How to release the stretch
- Release the position with an exhalation.
- Then come back to the starting position.
- It stimulates the digestive fire in the stomach.
- Energises the spine and make it flexible.
- It relieves the menstrual discomfort, fatigue, and backache.
- Also stimulates the liver and kidney and stretches neck, shoulders, and hips.
- Helps to cure constipation and reduces the abdominal girth.
Not for the persons who have spine or back injury.