Boat Posture, Half Boat pose, Ardh-Nauka Asana
Boat Pose requires you to balance on the tripod of your sitting bones and tailbone. It is an abdominal and deep hip flexor strengthener. The mid section of the body connects the lower body to the upper body and is the source of balance and control.
How to reach the stretch
- Start with Shavasana with legs together, hands by the side of the body and palms touching to ground.
- Breathe in and start raising your legs, arms, head and trunk together to reach 30-45 degrees (for both legs and trunk).
- Keep your spine and legs straight.
- Position your arms just parallel to the legs.
- Hold the position till you feel confortable while breathing normally.
How to release the stretch
- While returning, firstly place your head & trunk back to the ground.
- Now slowly bring legs back to the ground.
- Relax in savasana for 1-2 minutes.
- Boat pose tonifies the kidneys and stimulates the reproductive and digestive systems.
- This asana strengthens the legs and core body while opening the chest and stretching the low back.
Not for the persons who have recent or chronic injury to the back, arms or shoulders, pregnancy, menstruation, or recent abdominal surgery.