The Supine Vajrasana, Pelvic Posture, Fixed Firm Pose, Supta-Vajra-Asana, Supt-Vajr-Asan
This asana is the further development of Vajrasana. 'Supta' in Sanskrit means supine and Vajrasana means lying on the back. We lie on our back with folded legs, hence, it is called Supta-Vajrasana.
How to reach the stretch
- Sit in Vajrasana.
- Slowly take the help of right elbow, then left elbow and place them on the ground towards backside.
- Slowly straighten you hands and completely lie on your back.
- Shoulders should rest on the ground. Beginners may keep their hands on respective thighs. Knees should remain together.
- After practicing this position well, making the shape of a scissor with both hands bring them under the shoulders.
- Right hand will remain under left shoulder and left under the right, head in the middle of them. Stay in the position for a while and then release.
How to release the stretch
- While returning to the original position, first take out your hands and place it by the side of your body.
- Now, with the help of elbows sit as in the first position.
- This stretches the thigh muscles and the abdomen.
- The stomach is stimulated.
- It strengthens the thighs.
- Helps those suffering from constipation.
- It helps to cure sciatica.
There should never be more than normal pressure on the back, arms, and the ankle joints while doing this exercise.